Ana Belén Araúz - MD
German Esparza - MSc
Specialist in Clinical Microbiology. Member of the Expert Panel on Microbiology of the Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI) from USA.
/ Chair of the Clinical Microbiology Committee of the Pan-American Association of Infectious Diseases. (API)
/ Professor of Clinical Microbiology and Antimicrobials at Pontificia Universidad Javeriana and Rosario University. Bogota, Colombia.
Jesus Rodriguez-Baño - MD
MD, PhD; Specialist in Internal Medicine. Expert degree in Epidemiology and Clinical Research.
/ Head of Infectious Diseases Division at Hospital Universitario Virgen Macarena, Seville, Spain.
/ ESCMID Past-President (2018-2019)
/ Professor of Medicine at Universidad de Sevilla. Seville, Spain
Jordi Vila - PhD
-Head of Department of Clinical Microbiology of Hospital Clinic. Barcelona, Spain. -President of SEIMC (2019-2021)
-Professor of Microbiology, School of Medicine of University of Barcelona
Juan Pablo Horcajada - MD
MD PhD /
Chief of the Departament of Infectious Diseases, at Hospital del Mar. Barceloona, Spain /
Coordinator of the Infection Control Programme and President of the Infection Control Committee at Hospital del Mar, Parc de Salut. Barcelona, Spain /
Professor of Medicine at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona, Spain
Maria Eugenia Gutierrez - MD
MD, Specialist in Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases.
/ Head of Infection Control Committee of Hospital Jose Domingo De Obaldia. David, Panama.
/ General Secretary of API (201 / -2019)
/ Past President of Panamanian Society of Infectious Diseases-SEIP (2015-2018)
Maria Virgina Villegas - MD
MD, Specialist in Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases. MSc in Microbiology. / Chair of the Bacterial Resistance and Antimicrobial Stewardship Committee of the Pan-American Association of Infectious Diseases. (API) / Scientific Director of Grupo RAEH (Antimicrobial Resistance and Hospital Epidemiology. Universidad del Bosque. Bogotá, Colombia.
Mario Poljak - MD
MD, PhD, Specialist in Clinical Microbiology
/ Head of Laboratory for Molecular Microbiology and Slovenian HIV/AIDS Reference Centre
/ ESCMID Past President (2017-2018) & Publication Officer
/ Professor of Microbiology and Immunology, Faculty of Medicine at University of Ljubljana. Ljubljana, Slovenia.
Rafael Canton Moreno - PhD
Head of Microbiology Department of Hospital Universitario Ramon y Cajal. Madrid, Spain
SEIMC Past President (2015-2017)
Chair of the European Committee on Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing (EUCAST) 2012-2016.
Associate Professor of Clinic Microbiology, Pharmacy Faculty of Universidad Complutense. Madrid, Spain.
Silvio Vega - MD
MD, MSc in Microbiology
/ Head of Clinical Laboratory of Complejo Hospitalario Metropolitano. Panama City, Panama.
/ Researcher of the National System of researchers
professor of Microbiology and Tropical Medicine
/ API Past President (2017-2019).
Antimicrobial resistance in the 21st Century: a global threat
Check the final programme of this great international conference
28th November - Final programme
- 08:00 - to 09:00
- 09:00 - to 09:30
- Introduction and presentation
Speakers:Jesus Rodriguez-Baño - MD, John McConnell, Jordi Vila - PhD, Maria Eugenia Gutierrez - MD, Silvio Vega - MD
- 09:30 - to 11:15
- Symposium 1: Origins and threat of antimicrobial resistance
- Antimicrobial resistance: the origins | Antimicrobial resistance: why it is a real global threat | One health and antimicrobial resistance I Discussion
Speakers:Jesus Rodriguez-Baño - MD, Juan Pablo Horcajada - MD, Silvio Vega - MD, Susan Hopkins
- 11:15 - to 11:30
- Coffee break
- 11:30 - to 13:15
- Symposium 2: Antimicrobial resistance in bacteria: an epidemiologic overview.
- Antimicrobial resistance in Europe | Antimicrobial resistance in the Americas | Antimicrobial resistance in Panama: ESBL, KPC and other demons.
Speakers:John McConnell, Jordi Vila - PhD, Maria Virgina Villegas - MD, Silvio Vega - MD
- 13:15 - to 14:30
- 14:30 - to 16:15
- Symposium 3: Molecular epidemiology of the mechanisms of resistance: the big beasts
- Resistance to beta-lactams in Gram negative microorganisms: ESBL and carbapenemases | Resistance in Gram positive microorganisms | Resistance to new compounds
Speakers:Jordi Vila - PhD, Luisa Peixe, Maria Virgina Villegas - MD, Susan Hopkins
29th November - Final programme
- 09:00 - to 10:30
- Symposium 4: Treatment of XDR pathogens
- Evolving therapies for MDR organisms: betalactamase inhibitors combinations | Individualised treatment of infections due to XDR pathogens | Antimicrobial stewardship in the era of resistance
Speakers:Jesus Rodriguez-Baño - MD, Juan Pablo Horcajada - MD, Maria Eugenia Gutierrez - MD, Maria Virgina Villegas - MD
- 10:30 - to 11:00
- The fight against antimicrobial resistance: new approaches, infection control and antimicrobial stewardship
Speakers:Jesus Rodriguez-Baño - MD, Silvio Vega - MD
- 11:00 - to 11:30
- Coffee Break
- 11:30 - to 13:15
- Symposium 5: Update on diagnostic tools for antimicrobial resistant pathogens
- Fast, accurate, simple and affordable: the ideal diagnostic test. | Rapid test for resistant pathogens | Diagnostic stewardship: the basis
Speakers:German Esparza - MSc, Jordi Vila - PhD, Mario Poljak - MD, Rafael Canton Moreno - PhD
- 13:15 - to 14:30
- 14:30 - to 16:15
- Symposium 6: Antimicrobial Susceptibility testing in the era of resistance.
- Breakpoint setting criteria | Automated systems and antimicrobial susceptibility testing | Susceptibility testing of drug combinations: friend of foe?
Speakers:Ana Belén Araúz - MD, German Esparza - MSc, Rafael Canton Moreno - PhD
- 16:15 - to 16:45
- Antibiogram interpretation: the basics
Speakers:Mario Poljak - MD, Rafael Canton Moreno - PhD